Penang Police Bust Gold Robbery Gang, Recover RM36 Million in Stolen Bullion

PENANG, April 3 — Penang police have successfully cracked a high‑profile gold robbery gang, recovering about 43 kilograms of stolen gold worth roughly RM36 million and arresting nine suspects, including seven Malaysians and two Indonesian nationals. The crackdown marks a major breakthrough in efforts to dismantle organised crime networks targeting bullion shipments across Malaysia.

Deputy Penang police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Khaw Kok Chin confirmed the arrests during a press briefing, saying that the suspects were rounded up in a series of coordinated operations across multiple locations in the state. The recovered gold, believed to have been stolen in a series of daring robberies, was seized during raids on vehicles and safe houses linked to the syndicate.

Police said the gang had been active for several months, targeting gold shipments and bullion couriers in bold heists. Investigators believe the syndicate was responsible for multiple incidents involving the theft of high‑value gold bars and jewellery, prompting a dedicated task force to track down its members.

During the operation, officers recovered nearly 43 kg of gold, which authorities estimate to be worth approximately RM36 million (about US$7.6 million). The haul included a mix of gold bars and jewellery, much of which has been identified as stolen property linked to previous robbery cases.

“The arrests and recovery of this large quantity of stolen gold is a significant achievement for the Penang police and related enforcement agencies,” said Deputy Comm Khaw. “We remain committed to rooting out organised crime and ensuring public safety.”

Among those arrested were several key figures believed to have planned and executed the robberies, as well as accomplices who provided logistical support, safe houses, and transportation for the stolen bullion. Authorities have also seized several vehicles, mobile phones, and other evidence that will be used to build a strong prosecution case.

Police said that preliminary investigations indicate the syndicate operated with a high degree of sophistication, using carefully planned ambush points and insider information to target shipments at vulnerable times and locations. Investigators are now working to identify additional members of the network and uncover connections to other criminal groups.

The case has drawn attention across Malaysia, as gold prices and bullion trading remain a lucrative business, making gold shipments attractive targets for criminal syndicates. Law enforcement agencies have been stepping up efforts to combat organised crime in recent years, focusing on crimes involving high‑value goods such as gold, luxury vehicles, and cash.

Deputy Comm Khaw urged the public and businesses involved in transporting valuable goods to enhance security measures and remain vigilant, especially during transit operations. “We call on logistics companies and couriers to work closely with authorities to ensure the safety of high‑value cargo,” he added.

The arrested suspects have been remanded for further investigation, and police say charges including armed robbery, criminal conspiracy, and possession of stolen property are being prepared. Authorities also indicated that they are working with Indonesian counterparts regarding the involvement of foreign nationals in the syndicate.

This breakthrough follows several high‑profile gold robbery cases in the region, prompting concerns from traders and insurers over the security of bullion transport. The Penang police’s success is expected to provide a deterrent to other organised crime groups targeting Malaysia’s precious metal supply chain

Leave a Reply

Discover more from EL SKY NEWS

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading