Israel orders troops to seize new positions in Lebanon

March 3 — Israel has ordered its military to take control of additional strategic positions in southern Lebanon in response to renewed hostilities with the Iran‑backed militant group Hezbollah, defence officials said Tuesday.

Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz announced that he and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu authorised the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) to advance and secure more territory inside Lebanon. The stated aim is to “prevent attacks on Israeli border communities” after Hezbollah launched a series of rocket and drone strikes into northern Israel earlier in the week.

In a written statement, Katz said the military directive was part of efforts to reinforce Israeli defensive capabilities and protect civilians in the Galilee region and other frontline areas. He described the step as necessary amid an ongoing campaign that has seen Lebanon drawn deeper into a wider regional conflict.

Israeli forces have already deployed additional troops to southern Lebanon, positioning soldiers in multiple locations along the border. Military spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Nadav Shoshani told journalists that these deployments are intended to strengthen defensive lines rather than signal a full ground invasion. He characterised the move as a forward defence measure designed to deter further attacks from Hezbollah and other armed groups in Lebanese territory.

The escalation followed a flare‑up of violence that began after Hezbollah fired projectiles toward Israeli territory, including rockets and drones — its first such offensive actions since a ceasefire deal was reached in late 2024. Israeli air forces responded with intense strikes on Hezbollah targets throughout southern Lebanon and in the southern suburbs of Beirut, marking one of the most substantial military engagements in recent months.

Tensions have surged across the region after the reported killing of Iran’s Supreme Leader, which triggered a broader conflict involving the United States, Israel, and Tehran‑aligned forces. Iran’s backing of Hezbollah has raised fears that the Lebanese theatre could become a prolonged front in the expanding confrontation.

The Lebanese government issued evacuation warnings to residents in dozens of villages across southern Lebanon and the Beqaa Valley, cautioning civilians to distance themselves from potential conflict zones as military operations intensified. The moves have raised serious concerns about civilian safety and the potential for further displacement.

International observers say that the decision to seize positions in Lebanon marks a significant escalation in what has already become a multi‑front regional conflict. While Israel’s stated goal remains to protect its border communities and degrade Hezbollah’s military capabilities, analysts caution that increased ground presence may further inflame an already volatile situation.

Humanitarian agencies and global leaders have expressed alarm at the rising civilian toll and the risk of broader war spreading beyond Lebanon, Iran, and Israel. As diplomatic and military efforts continue behind the scenes, both sides face mounting pressure to avoid a protracted ground conflict that could destabilise the wider Middle East

Leave a Reply

Discover more from EL SKY NEWS

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading