Trump Announces 10-Day Ceasefire Between Israel and Lebanon

Kuala Lumpur — U.S. President Donald Trump has announced that Israel and Lebanon have agreed to a 10-day ceasefire, set to begin on Thursday, April 16, 2026, at 5:00 PM Eastern Time (approximately 5:00 AM Friday, Malaysia time).

In a post on Truth Social, Trump stated: “Both leaders have agreed that in order to have PEACE between their two countries, they will officially start a 10-day ceasefire at 5 P.M. EST.” He described his separate conversations with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun as “very good.”

Trump also revealed plans to invite both leaders to the White House within the next one to two weeks for direct talks — the first such meeting between the two countries in 44 years.

The announcement follows initial negotiations held in Washington earlier this week. While the ceasefire involves the Lebanese government, the actual fighting over the past month has primarily been between Israel and the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah operating from Lebanese territory.

A senior Hezbollah official said the group would abide by the ceasefire if Israel stops its attacks. Lebanese Prime Minister also welcomed the development.

Trump expressed optimism that the temporary truce could lead to a longer-term peace deal. “I think we’re going to have a deal,” he told reporters.

Background

The conflict is part of wider tensions in the Middle East involving Iran. Israeli airstrikes in Lebanon have so far claimed nearly 2,200 lives.

This ceasefire is seen as an important first step toward de-escalating hostilities between Israel and Lebanon, despite the two countries having no formal diplomatic relations.

The situation remains fluid as both sides have yet to issue detailed official statements on the terms of the agreement.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from EL SKY NEWS

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading